jueves, 14 de octubre de 2010

The structure of SECOND CONDITIONAL

Like a first conditional, a second conditional sentence consists of two clauses, an "if" clause and a main clause:



if clause

main clause

If I had a million dollars,

I would buy a big house.
If the "if" clause comes first, a comma is usually used. If the "if" clause comes second, there is no need for a comma:



main clause

if clause

I would buy a big house

if I had a million dollars.
We use different verb forms in each part of a second conditional:



if clause

if + subject + simple past verb*

main clause

subject + would + verb
*Note that this "simple past" form is slightly different from usual in the case of the verb BE. Whatever the subject, the verb form is "were", not "was": If I were rich, I'd buy a big house.

Using the second conditional

The second conditional is used to talk about things which are unreal (not true or not possible) in the present or the future -- things which don't or won't happen:



Example

Explanation

If I were you, I would drive more carefully in the rain.

I am not you -- this is unreal.

Paula would be sad if Jan left.

Jan will not leave -- that's not going to happen.

If dogs had wings, they would be able to fly.

Dogs don't have wings -- that's impossible.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario